Fellowship Square’s philosophy of resident enrichment is to provide a wide variety of services, activities and events that benefit residents in every aspect of living — physically, intellectually, socially, emotionally, creatively, spiritually and vocationally.
We are always looking for individuals or groups to volunteer and to help us provide much needed support as well as new and exciting activity choices to Fellowship House residents.
During the COVID-19 pandemic and this period of social distancing, Fellowship Square residents are in even greater need of essential supplies and companionship.
Volunteers are needed to call senior residents by phone to check on their well-being and offer companionship. We especially need volunteers volunteers who speak Korean, Chinese, Farsi and Russian.
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years old. Volunteers aged 14- 18 must have approval and supervision from a parent or guardian. The parent/guardian is expected to be available to assist the teen during the call if there are difficult questions or any concerns.
- Volunteers are expected to participate in a 30-minute virtual orientation session via Zoom.
- Following completion of the Zoom orientation session, volunteers will be provided with a call list of (up to 5) resident names and phone numbers, instructions, a list of conversation starter questions and a call log form.
- Volunteers are expected to call their assigned residents within one week.
- Volunteers are expected to schedule their next call with the resident prior to hanging up. We recommend contacting residents twice a week as a general guideline. This may be adjusted upon mutual agreement between the volunteer and the resident. Calling once a week is our minimum expectation.
- Volunteers must encourage the resident to call 911 if she or he is experiencing an emergency.
- Volunteers are NOT responsible for meeting any needs expressed by the resident(s).
- Volunteers should return a completed Call Log Form to the Volunteer Coordinator after each call.
Each month the Fellowship Houses receive food donations for residents from local retailers, government agencies and other nonprofits. See below for upcoming dates by location.
- Volunteers are needed to help move bulk donations and deliver food to residents’ apartments.
- Volunteers will need to wear masks and gloves. Please bring your own if you have them, as our supplies are limited.
- Social distancing of 6 feet will be observed.
- Volunteers must be fever-free and have no symptoms of a respiratory infection (e.g., cough, sore throat, or shortness of breath).
- A person may not volunteer at a Fellowship Square site if s/he has traveled internationally or on a cruise ship within the last 14 days.
- A person also may not volunteer at a Fellowship Square site if s/he has had contact with an individual testing positive with COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Note that this role requires physical activity: walking, bending, stooping, reaching and lifting objects up to 50 lbs.
For all upcoming food delivery dates by location, please SIGN UP HERE.
Largo Landing Fellowship House (Upper Marlboro, MD):
Weekly on Wednesdays, 1:00 – 3:00 PM.
SIGN UP HERE
Hunters Woods Fellowship House (Reston):
Weekly on Thursdays, 10:00 – 11:30 AM and
weekly on Fridays, 8:30 – 10:30 AM.
Thursday, September 17, 12:30 – 3:30 PM and
Saturday, September 26, 10:30 AM -12:30 PM.
SIGN UP HERE
Lake Ridge Fellowship House (Woodbridge):
Wednesday, September 9, 12:30 – 3:30 PM.
Wednesday, September 16, 1:00 – 3:00 PM.
Thursday, September 24, 12:30 – 2:30 PM.
SIGN UP HERE
Lake Anne Fellowship House (Reston): Wednesday, September 23, 12:30 – 2:30 PM.
Saturday, September 26, 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. SIGN UP HERE
If you are interested in volunteering, we ask that you:
1. Read and understand the Fellowship Square Volunteer Guidelines. (PDF)
2. Read and sign the Volunteer Acceptance, Release and Waiver of Liability Form. (fillable PDF)
3. Submit an online Volunteer Application Form.
Please note that prior to submitting the Volunteer Application Form, applicants must attest: 1) that all facts are true and complete, 2) that they have read and understand the documents listed above and agree to abide by them, and 3) that they understand that false statements or omissions, or failure to adhere to these conditions shall be grounds for dismissal from the Fellowship Square Volunteer Program.
Volunteers play a central role in Fellowship Square’s mission and help us keep residents healthy and engaged. We hope you will get involved and be a part of what makes life wonderful at Fellowship House.
For more information on volunteer opportunities, contact Diane Beatley: firstname.lastname@example.org